Sunday, February 10, 2013

VEGETARIAN CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP


This soup is so comforting and makes you feel so good inside. On a cold winter day or when you don't feel so well what is more nourishing than a hot bowl of healthy vegetarian chicken noodle soup.

1/2 package Gardein chicken strips cubed
4 chopped carrots
4 stalks chopped celery
1/2 diced onion
1 diced garlic clove
4 leaves of greens (collards, kale, swiss chard)
1 qt. box vegetable broth
4 cups water
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp dried sage
1/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes
2 TBSP Extra Virgin Oil Oil
1 vegetable bullion cube
1/2 cup brown rice
1/2 cup barley
2 cups dried or homemade noodles




Gardein Chicken Strips Gardein
I begin with my fake chicken. I recently changed from using TVP (dried textured and reconstituted vegetable protein) to frozen "Gardein" brand chicken strips. I cut them into bite size pieces and if the package comes with any sauce just refrigerate it for another use.

Chop your carrots, celery and dice the onion and garlic.
I remove any hard stems from the kale or collard greens and roll the leaves and cut them into ribbons. 
called (Chiffonade)
http://localfoods.about.com/od/basics/ss/Chiffonade.htm
I buy kale, collards, or swiss chard every time I grocery shop. It can be used so many ways.


I purchase my olive oil at World Market. They have the best bang for your money. Using EVOO is a must. It gives the soup that mock taste of the meat version. World Market Olive Oil


Collard ribbon and Gardein Chicken strips

I prefer to have large cuts of carrots in my soup.



Vegetable bullion cubes

Nutritional Yeast Flakes (I find this in bulk at Sawalls)
                                                  Sawalls Health Foods Portage,MI             
This is dried onion, garlic and other spices that I add to alot of my food. It's kind of like the no salt seasoning.

Garlic

Barley and noodles . Adding barley and brown rice will give
your broth that extra fullness that will make this soup a meal.

Begin by saute' the veges in the EVOO for about 5 minutes on med-low heat. Add all the spice then add the veggie broth and water. Add all the ingredients except for the noodles. They go in last.

Simmer your soup on med- low for about 30 min. and then low for another 30 min. until the rice and barley are tender. Add the noodles last and turn off soup when the noodles are cooked. You may have to add more salt to taste.
As the soup cools the broth will thicken from the starch on the noodles, rice, barley. Add water if you prefer a thinner broth. Especially on day 2 when you have left overs.





No comments:

Post a Comment